The importance of digital logistics: A post-pandemic perspective
The Covid-19 pandemic has made diverse industries across the world reassess operations and processes.
Intelligence and technology have emerged as the forerunners in the race to overcome the economic and commercial impacts of these dystopian 2 years. Digital transformation is the need of the hour and the pandemic has reinforced its urgent necessity.
One industry that is in urgent need of comprehensive digital adoption is the logistics and supply-chain marketplace. Right from time-demanding medical supplies to demand-based shortages of household goods, most supply-chains have been affected by distribution disruption due to sudden and drastic rising and falling of demand.
If the majority of the cumulative logistics industry were already digital adopters, predictive models would have helped companies analyze and understand the volatile demand graphs while maximizing business without loss in time or resources. However, as per the MHI industry report (2020), only 12% of the logistics and supply-chain industry have digitalized their processes, leaving more than 80% of the industry in a state of slow or reverse progress.
This brings us to the question: Why did we wait for a pandemic to realize the urgent need for digital logistics solutions? When in fact, digitalizing logistics ecosystems can prove to present a myriad of benefits. Benefits that create an interconnected world with the help of intelligent technologies, thus moving towards an empowered tomorrow: for both- people and processes. Some undeniable enhancements that a digital logistics ecosystem can bring, are as follows:
- Increased visibility: a digital logistics ecosystem grants all supply-chain stakeholders complete visibility of demand calculation, costs, inventory, current demand, and future demand predictions.
- Elevated efficiency: accurate information and data analysis aids in improved cargo management and tracking, better route management resulting in fuel efficiency, faster payments, supplier optimization, speedy customs, and advanced warehousing.
The post-pandemic era will see a revolutionary digital shift, where consumers relying on e-commerce solutions will be the new normal. The logistics and supply-chain industry needs to move rapidly towards adopting digital logistics solutions to keep up with the disruptive changes that are to come. Smart logistics solutions can catalyze maximized operations and reduced costs through the following:
- Improved inventory management: bringing inventory to the right place at the right time by optimum utilization of warehouses, thus reducing overhead costs and time while improving service levels.
- Optimized distribution: Omni-channel distribution networks will be within reach, with intelligent technologies paving the way.
- The most favourable combination of transport: The right balance of sea, air, rail, and road is vital for a fruitful logistics journey. With the power of clear visibility, service providers can optimally opt for multi-modal logistics that are uniquely created as per specific requirements.
Domestic as well as cross-border supply-chains are undergoing a revolution. A metamorphosis that now compels process evolution and system digitalization. The post-pandemic logistics world demands intelligent tracking, accurate information, predictive analysis, data management, real-time monitoring, improved navigation, and route management.
The best way to access and truly make the most of this smart logistics generation is through a seamless digital ecosystem where one platform would promote collaboration, tracking, transactions, tools, and information.
The time to connect people with smart innovations is now.
The time to bridge the gap between technology and tomorrow is now.
The time to co-create a connected world is now.
Explore our digital solutions to simplify your logistics journey now.